- Cardiovascular disease,
- Breast Cancer,
- Oral Cancer,
- and possible Fetal Complications (low birth weight, pre-maturity).
Plaque is a sticky film of bacteria that accumulates in the mouth and is caused by oral bacteria, mucus, and other particles in your mouth. If plaque is not removed daily, it can lead to various forms of gum disease such as gingivitis or peridontitis both of which are inflammatory oral conditions
(see the article - Disease Prevention & Intervention).
It's very important to maintain a health amount of saliva flow in the mouth (not too much, not too little); since the purpose of saliva is to wash away food in the mouth and gums while neutralizing bacterial acids.
How can good nutrition help to improve your oral health, and ultimately reduce your risks of serious health conditions noted above? As a natural health practitioner, there are 4 essential steps I would recommend implementing in your daily oral health care regimen. Below are the 4 steps that equals 100% of good daily oral health care; although most people may complete only 50% of the recommendations below.
- Brush your teeth a minimum of 2 times everyday using a nontoxic toothpaste such as Auromere. This toothpaste and others similar to it is free of toxic chemicals such as artificial sweetners, artificial coloring, and the negative effects of high concentrations of sodium from "the wrong salt" (see The Truth About Salt).
- Floss your teeth at least once everyday to help remove trapped food which could increase harmful bacteria.
- Oil Pull at least once everyday! For maximum results oil pull 3 times daily. Each oil pull session should last a minimum of 15 minutes. However, if you've never done this before or if it's been a while since you've oil pulled, please refer to (May 6th 2015 Wednesday Wonder) for further instructions on how to oil pull properly. Remember, oil pulling is a type of detox; therefore it's important to drink plenty of pure water after you've completed all 4 of the essential oral health steps.
- Rinse at least once everyday using a nontoxic mouthwash such as TheraBreath original formula. This oral rinse and others similar to it is free of the potentially toxic chemical fluoride. It's also free of known toxic chemicals such as artificial sweetners and coloring.
Did you score 75% or less?
If so, it's never too late for change. By incorporating 100% of the 4 steps daily, you may greatly reduce your risks for the serious health ailments outlined in the 1st paragraph, reduce or eliminate halitosis, and gain more confidence when you speak, smile, and go to your primary doctor and dentist!
National Institute of Health, <Periodontal Disease: Causes, Symptoms, & Treatments> NIH Publication No. 13-1142 Sept 2013.
National Institute of Health , <Oral Health Links Breast Cancer> J Pharm Bioallied Sci Volume 3(3); Jul-Sep 2011.
Mayo Clinic, <Oral Health: A Window to Your Overall Health > April 2016.
Flanagan, Cindy, Flanagansmiles.com. < Breast Cancer and Oral Health> Houston, TX. 2016.
Harvard Health Publications. <Straight Talk About Oral Health > April 2016.