By: Keisha Banks - Thornton, MPH, RD
but it's definitely something worth thinking about to help you obtain a healthy body!
Chronic inflammation can increase your risk for diseases such as:
2. Eat more Omega 3 fatty Acids. Aim for 3.5 ounces of fatty fish such as salmon twice weekly. Although better absorbed from fish, there are plant based sources such as flax seeds, chia seeds, and walnuts! See the following article: Chia Seeds Versus Flaxseeds.
3. Try seasoning foods such as vegetables, rice, soups, etc. with the spice turmeric. Studies have revealed turmeric to have anti-inflammatory properties.
4. Try exercising a minimum of 30 minutes daily. Exercise helps improve conditions such as high blood pressure, high cholesterol, diabetes, depression, and inflammation.
5. Reduce stress! If your body is constantly in fight or flight response it will receive too much stress hormones thereby increasing your risk for anxiety, weight gain, and heart disease to name a few things. Be sure to incorporate relaxing activities such as daily stretches.
6. Avoid trans-fats! It has no health promoting benefits and is actually worse than saturated fats. To know if a food contains trans-fat, look for partially hydrogenated oils in the ingredient list on food packages.
7. Eliminate processed sugar! Processed sugars release inflammatory messengers called cytokines,
which then increases inflammation in the body. It's best to avoid foods with added sugar listed as 1 of the 1st 3 ingredients.